Friday, September 4, 2009

Judd's Breadsticks



ok these are the best breadsticks..they are from a resteraunt called Judd's in St George. They are non-fail. I promise. The trick of the breadstick is folding them into 3 and twisting, than pack them in tight and they grow together, but you butter them well so they dont stick together. So they come out beautiful and thick.

THIS MAKE ALOT SO try HALFING the recipe~

4 cups hot tap water
3 Tablespoons yeast
1/3 c. granulated sugar
3 tsp. salt
8-10 cups flour (I only use 7 cups really than knead in maybe 1 more cup)
melted butter (for brushing) (about 1 stick)
Seasonings (parmesean, garlic salt, etc.)

Mix first 4 ingredients together. Gradually add flour until stiff. Let raise for 1/2 an hour. Roll out into 1/2 inch thick and cut into strips two inches wide with pizza cutter ( I also cut them in the middle because they are super long). Fold into three's and twist, pinching ends. Roll (or brush) in melted butter (about 1/2 of a stick)and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt and parmesean cheese.
I use the green parmesean (because I think it sticks more evenly than fresh) and a little garlic salt w/ parsley. They are extremely big so I usually cut them in half before twisting. Let raise until doubled. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
As soon as they come out.....I put the other 1/2 of a stick of butter on the top to make them soft again!

3 comments:

Shelley said...

You know its a good recipe when you use wheat flour and it still turns out amazing! :) Thanks for the recipe! Simple and Delish!

Kara said...

these were so fluffy and yummy!

Unknown said...

I know this is an older post but my family love's Judd's bread sticks and we only get them once a year when we visit St. George. I'd love to make them at home so I was excited to see your recipe. I am confused about the instruction "fold into three's". Does that mean each 2 inch strip folded into thirds or take three 2 inch strips, stack then twist? Thanks for sharing recipe...can't wait to try it!